Monday, May 4, 2009

Just like Gram

The green house I posted about the other day has gone under agreement and I feel a little sad. While we had no real chance of buying it, I was attached to dreaming about buying it. Now it's someone else's dream. It remind me of my grandmother, who I swear, almost bought every house in Salem. Driving around town she would off handley say, "oh we almost ought that house. But it was too expensive." Now expensive probably means $10,000. But back then it was obviously "too expensive."

Now that didn't stop my grandparents from living in no less than 8 houses around Salem just in my dad's lifetime. While I can barely remember it (I was like 3), the second to last house they owned was a brick Georgian Colonial in the historic district right off of the famous Chestnut Street.

There are a couple Chestnut Street houses for sale right now:


37 Chestnut
Maybe someday! I can dream right? While I think I have inherited my grandmother's love a real estate, I am also inheriting her gorgeous mahogany dining room set, which Sean and I hope to pick up this weekend. My grandmother is unfortunately moving into a nursing home, thus the giving away of her things. But I'm so honored to have something that she owned that I'll be able to pass down to my children and grandchildren. I just think of all the wonderful holidays, celebrations and birthdays spent at that table. While it may just seem like a piece of furniture to some, it so much more to me. It's a gathering spot where memories were made and a gathering place to make new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment